To be successful with Google ad AdSense, you need pages with unique content that’s relevant to your visitors and provides a great user experience. To use AdSense, you must have access to the HTML source code of your site. You need to be able to place AdSense code between the tags of your pages. If you sign up with a site you don’t own (e.g., www.google.com), Google won’t be able to verify that you’re the site owner and it won’t activate your account.
There are lots of sites out there already, so think about what it is that makes your pages unique. Your aim is to create original and relevant content that keeps users engaged and encourages them to read more.
Consider how you arrange the elements (text, images, etc.) on your pages. Make sure your layout looks inviting and make sure visitors can easily find what they’re looking for.
It’s also a good practice to provide a comment section for your visitors. Feedback from users who’ve used your site and read your content can really help you to improve your site as it grows.
The navigation bar (or menu bar) is one of the most important components of your site. Having an accessible, easy-to-use navigation bar is a key part of providing a good user experience and encourages users to engage effectively with your content.
When building your navigation bar make sure you consider:
- Alignment – are all the elements lined up correctly?
- Readability – is the text easy to read?
- Functionality – do your drop-down lists work correctly?
After your AdSense account has been activated, you can start showing ads on additional sites. You can show ads on any site that you own that complies with AdSense Program policies. To show ads on a new site, first add the site to your sites list in AdSense.
Note: If you place your ad code on a site that’s not in your sites list, ads won’t appear on that site.
Changing your existing site
If you want to change the site where you currently show ads, make sure that you add the new site to your sites list first before you place your ad code.
Connect your site to AdSense
To complete the AdSense activation process you need to connect your site to AdSense. Here’s how:
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Copy the code on your AdSense homepage.
- Paste the code into the HTML of your page, between the and tags.
WordPress user? Learn how to insert ad code in your WordPress site.
- (Optional) If you incorrectly entered the URL of your site when you created your AdSense account, click Edit Edit and update your URL.
- Leave the Show ads as soon as account is activated box checked, unless you’d prefer to switch on the ads you want to show yourself after your account is activated.
Make sure you’ve placed the code on every page you want ads to appear when your site is activated.
- When you’ve finished, confirm you’ve pasted the code and click Done.
Show ads as soon as your account is activated
When you connect your site, you can choose to show ads as soon as your account is activated and start earning money from your content right away.
If you have visitors from the European Economic Area (EEA), you might want to uncheck this option to make sure you’re complying with Google’s EU user consent policy. You can change your settings for serving ads to users in the EEA after your account is approved.
Provided you’ve added the code to your pages that you want to show ads on, you’re all set. Google will analyze your pages, find suitable ad placements, then automatically place the ads for you. Google system will choose the most suitable ads for your page type.
If Google can’t confirm the code is placed correctly on your site you’ll see a message on your AdSense homepage. Here are some things to check to help you fix connection issues.
The code is missing or incomplete
- Did you paste the code into the HTML of your site?
- Did you paste the code between the and tags?
- Did you paste the code into the site you used to sign up for AdSense?
Your site is unreachable
- Did you provide the correct URL when you created your AdSense account? If you made a mistake, you can click Edit and update your URL.
- Is your site up and running? Make sure your site is published and live on the web.
- Can AdSense access your site without a password? If your site’s login protected, consider temporarily removing the login so that Google can reach your site. Note that after your account has been successfully activated, you can create a crawler login to display Google ads on your login-protected pages.
Enter your payment address details in AdSense
To complete the AdSense activation process you need to provide your payment address details. It’s important that you enter this information correctly so that you can get paid.
How to enter your payment address details
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Complete the following fields in the “Payment address details” card:
- Account type: Choose whether you want an “Individual” or a “Business” AdSense account.
Note: There’s no difference in the services or payment structure between individual and business accounts. Individual accounts are paid out to the payee name of the account holder, whereas business account payments are made payable to the company name.
Name: For individual accounts, enter your full name exactly as it appears on your banking information. For business accounts, enter your company’s name in the “Business name” field and the contact name for your company in the “Name” field.
- Address: Enter your full postal address.
Note: You must be able to receive mail at this address. When your account balance reaches the verification threshold, Google will mail you a Personal Identification Number (PIN). You’ll need to enter the PIN in your AdSense account before Google can send you any payments.
- Phone number: Enter a valid phone number.
- Click Submit.
Verify your phone number in AdSense
As part of Google effort to protect publisher accounts, we ask that you provide a valid phone number when you activate your AdSense account. Google use phone number verification to make sure that your information is accurate and up-to-date.
Phone number verification is not required in all countries. If it’s required for you, you’ll see a card on your AdSense homepage.
How to verify your phone number
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- In the “Verify your phone number” card, enter your phone number in international format.
Phone numbers in international format begin with a plus (+) sign, followed by the country code, the area code, and the phone number:
+(Country code)(Area code)(Phone number)
Examples: +14139402037, +441231660351
If you’ve previously verified a phone number for Google, you’ll see your verified phone number listed in the “Phone number” field. You can choose to use this phone number for AdSense and skip the rest of the phone verification process.
- Choose whether you’d like to receive your verification code by text message or voice call.
- Click Get verification code.
- On the next page, enter the 6-digit verification code that Google sent you and click Submit.
Include your site in Google’s search results
Getting recognized and receiving high quality traffic is key to your success with AdSense. In particular, submitting your URLs to Google Search Console can help people discover more of your webpages and improve coverage of your site(s).
Give access to Google crawler in your robots.txt file
If you’ve modified your site’s robots.txt file to disallow the AdSense crawler from indexing your pages, then Google will not be able serve its ads on these pages.
To update your robots.txt file to grant Google crawler access to your pages, remove the following two lines of text from your robots.txt file:
This change will allow Google crawler to index the content of your site and provide you with Google ads. Please note that any changes you make to your robots.txt file may not be reflected in Google index until its crawlers attempt to visit your site again.