AdSense is a free, simple way to earn money by displaying targeted ads next to your online content. With Google ads AdSense, you can show relevant and engaging ads to your website visitors and even customise the look and feel of ads to match your website. The AdSense programme differs in that it delivers ads served by Google Ads to your site. Google then pays you for the ads displayed on your site based on user clicks on ads or on ad impressions, depending on the type of ad.
AdSense gives you instant and automatic access to a huge source of advertiser demand, which means competition for your ad spaces, more relevant ads and ads for all your online content.
Google Ads How It Works
You make your website ad spaces available by pasting ad code onto your website and choosing where you want the ads to appear. Advertisers bid to be displayed in your ad spaces in a real-time auction. The highest-paying ad will show on your website. Google handles the process of billing all advertisers and networks for the ads on your website, to make sure that you receive your payments.
Google AdSense is a free, simple way for website publishers of all sizes to earn money by displaying targeted Google ads on their websites.
Customisation and control
- Change the look and feel of your ads to fit with your website and specify where you want ads to appear
- Show ads that are relevant to your users with automatic targeting
- Choose from a variety of ad sizes and formats with options to block certain categories of ads or even specific advertisers
Easily accessible support
- Personalised recommendations as you grow your business
- Help Centre and online learning tools to learn how to set up and run your account successfully
Access to Google ads
- No need to manage advertiser relationships, AdSense gives you instant and automatic access to a huge source of advertiser demand
- More advertisers means competition for your ad spaces, more relevant ads and ads for all your online content
- With easy, personalised reports you’ll be able to understand your ad performance and identify opportunities for growth
- Show ads that are specially designed for video and games, and ads that work on both desktop and mobile
- Seamless integration with Google Ad Manager and Google Analytics
Set Up Google Adsense Account
- Visit https://www.google.co.uk/adsense/start.
- Click Sign up now.
- Enter the URL of the site that you want to show ads on.
Note: Blogger, YouTube or other host partner
If your site is on one of Google host partner sites (like Blogger or YouTube, among many others), you can complete these steps through your account there by clicking Continue in… after you enter your URL. Google will be able to set you up faster that way as host partner sites follow a different account creation process.
- Enter your email address.
- Choose whether you’d like AdSense to send you customised help and performance suggestions.
Google recommends that you choose Yes so that Google can help you get more out of AdSense. You can change your contact settings later.
- Click Save and continue.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Select your country or territory.
- Review and accept the AdSense Terms and Conditions.
- Click Create account.
You’re now signed in to your new AdSense account.
What to do next
You might notice that some of the options in your new AdSense account are greyed out. That’s because there are a few tasks that you need to complete before Google can fully activate your account.
How to Activate Google Adsense Account
After you create your AdSense account, you need to activate it so that you can shows ads on your site and earn money. Your AdSense homepage has a list of tasks to complete before Google can activate your account:
- Connect your site to AdSense
- Enter your payment address details
- Verify your phone number (Not required in all countries.)
After you complete each task, click Done or Submit. Upon completion, Google reviews your entire site to check that it complies with the AdSense programme policies and email you when your account is fully activated. This process usually takes less than a day but can take longer. Then you can set up ads on your site and start earning money.
Adsense Google Auto Ads
Auto ads are a family of ad formats that offer a simple and innovative way for you to monetise your content. With Auto ads, you place the same piece of ad code once on each page. After you’ve added the code, Google automatically shows ads at optimal times when they’re likely to perform well for you and provide a good experience for your users.
Auto ads work equally well on sites that don’t have ads and on those already showing ads. If you already have ad units on your page, Auto ads will detect them and only place ads where there’s available space. So there’s no need to remove your existing ad units if you don’t want to. If you don’t have any ad units on your page, Auto ads will find all potential placements and use them to monetise your page.
To set up Auto ads, you first choose which ad formats you’d like to show across your pages. These will be your ‘global settings’. You then copy and paste the ad code on each page where you want Auto ads to appear. After you’ve done this, you can choose to show different ad formats on some of your pages by creating a URL group.
You can track the performance of your Auto ads by viewing the Ad formats report on your Reports page. Auto ads are shown under ad format labels (‘Anchor’, ‘Vignettes’, etc.) in the report.
- Provide your tax information (not required in all locations)
Depending on your location, Google may be required to collect tax-related information.
Confirm your payee name and address
Since Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) are sent to the postal address in your account, it’s important to confirm the accuracy of your payment address and payee name. If you need to correct any information, you can follow these instructions to change your payee name or change your payment address.
- Select your form of payment
When your earnings have reached the payment method selection threshold, you can select your form of payment. Depending on your payment address, there may be several forms of payment available to you, including Bank transfer, Bank transfer via Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), wire transfer, cheques and Western Union Quick Cash.
- Verify your identity (not required in all locations)
Depending on your location, Google might need to verify your identity using information like your name, address or date of birth. If you are required to do this, you typically won’t be asked to verify your address until after you’ve successfully verified your identity.
- Verify your address
When your earnings have reached the address verification threshold, Google will post a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to the payee address in your AdSense account. You must enter this PIN into your AdSense account before Google can issue any payments. Your PIN will be sent by standard post and may take up to 2-3 weeks to arrive.
- Meet the payment threshold
If your current balance has reached the payment threshold by the end of the month, a 21-day payment processing period begins. After the processing period has ended, Google will issue you a payment. For example, let’s say that the payment threshold for your account is £100. If your current balance has reached £100 during January and you’ve completed all the steps above, then Google will issue you a payment at the end of February. If your current balance hasn’t yet reached the payment threshold, your finalised earnings will roll over to the following month and your balance will accrue until the threshold has been met.
- Tracking your earnings
You can see a daily summary of your estimated earnings on your Home page. For more details, you can track your estimated AdSense earnings on the Performance reports page in your account. There’s also important information included in your “Payment receipt”, which is linked from the “Transactions” page.
The “Transactions” page tracks the status of previously issued payments, as well as monthly account calculations. You can see earnings credited to your account as well as any adjustments made as separate line items on this page. Once your payment has been issued, you’ll see it listed as an “Automatic payment” link.
Tracking and Improving Ad Revenue
- Ensure that your website has a positive user experience
User experience (UX) can make or break your website’s success. With many other websites offering similar services, it’s important to differentiate your website in the eyes of your users by providing a better experience.
- Develop a multi-screen strategy
It’s clear that mobile is growing rapidly. Make sure that you have a mobile strategy for your website.
- Experiment with A/B tests
Running an experiment allows you to compare one of your ad settings against a variation of that setting to see which performs better. Experiments help you to make informed decisions about how to configure your ad settings, and can help you to increase your earnings.
- Get ideas to improve your account performance
‘Opportunities’ is an entire section dedicated to helping you improve your account performance. You can think of it as a personal assistant who customises opportunities for your account.
- Integrate your AdSense account with Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that helps you better understand your website visitors and define the right strategy for your website. By integrating AdSense with Analytics, you can improve your ad performance and your users’ experience.
Most Successful Adsense Google Ad Sizes
If positioned well, wide ad sizes can increase your earnings significantly. The sizes Google has found to be the most effective are the 336×280 large rectangle, the 300×250 medium rectangle, the 728×90 leaderboard, the 300×600 half page, and on mobile the 320×100 large mobile banner. Keep in mind that while these ad sizes typically perform well, you should use the size that best complements your pages.
Note: Wider Adsense ad sizes tend to outperform their taller counterparts, due to their reader-friendly format.
Most Successful Adsense Google Ad Styles
Choosing the right ad styles can mean the difference between ads your users will notice — and click — and ads they’ll skip right over. Google has outlined a few strategies below that are designed to decrease ad blindness, the tendency for users to ignore anything that’s separate from the main content of your site. By making these changes, you’ll be making your ads more visible to users.
- To blend, make the background and borders of your ads the same color as the background of your page where the ad is placed. If your site has a white background and you don’t want to spend a lot of time choosing ad colors, Google recommends using Google pre-designed Google default ad style.
- To complement, use colors that already exist on your site, but don’t match the background and borders exactly where the ads are placed.
- To contrast, choose colors that stand out against the background of your site. Contrasting is recommended only for sites with dark background, so Google suggests using an ad style with white background, white borders, and blue titles.
Show Both Text and Display Adsense Ads
Display ads compete in the same auction for your ad space that text ads do. So, choosing to show both text and display ads increases the competition for ads to appear on your site, and may help you earn more.