To help increase competition for a particular ad size, Google might substitute a similar-sized display ad to appear within an Adsense ad unit. When this happens, the size of the similar Adsense Google ad is modified if needed (using advanced imaging techniques) and then served in the ad unit.
Some important things to note about showing similar-sized Adsense Google ads:
- Google may modify Adsense ads to fit in ad units that are larger or smaller than the original creative
- Modified Adsense ads are served neatly centered at the top of the ad unit
- Modified ads fit within the existing Adsense Google ad unit and won’t alter the layout of your page
- The new ad size might not necessarily match the full width or height of the Google Adsense ad unit.
For Google Adsense ad units opted in to showing display ads, these are just a few examples of the many possible similar-sized ad displays:
- 160×600 Adsense ad is placed in a 300×600 ad slot (no ad resizing)
- 728×90 Adsense ad is placed in a 970×90 ad slot (no ad resizing)
- 468×60 Adsense ad is resized to 320×50 in a 320×50 ad slot
- 336×280 Adsense ad is resized to 300×250 in a 300×250 ad slot
- 300×250 Adsense ad is resized to 336×280 in a 336×280 ad slot
- 728×90 Adsense ad is resized to 468×58 in a 468×60 ad slot