A targetable ad placement is a specific group of ad units on which an advertiser can choose to place their ads using placement targeting. An ad unit is one or more Google ads displayed as a result of one piece of the AdSense ad code. You can create, customize and manage ad units on the Ads page in your AdSense account.
An Adsense ad placement can be an entire website or a specific sub-set of ad units within that site, such as only ad units on a site’s sports pages or all ad units at the top of the page.
Advertisers find ad placements in several ways, including by listing websites where they’d like to advertise or by searching for placements that match the themes and topics they’d like to target.
If your site is part of the AdSense network, it should automatically be visible to advertisers as an available ad placement when they search for themes or topics related to the content of your site. You can also define your own ad placements using specific sub-sets of ad units on your site.
Ad placements can be as broad as an entire website or as specific as a single ad unit. Placements are made visible to advertisers in two ways:
- Placements automatically created by Google system. Each publisher website in the Google AdSense network is automatically made available to advertisers as a placement where they can target their ads. When advertisers target this type of placement, their ads may appear anywhere on the website.
- Placements defined by publishers. You have the ability to define your own ad placements using your custom channels. You choose how to group together specific ad units on your site that you want advertisers to be able to target. Common ways of grouping Google Adsense ad units into custom channels are by topic, ad format, or location on a page. When advertisers target publisher-defined ad placements, their ads may only appear in the specific ad units the publisher has selected.
How do I make an ad placement?
You can create a custom channel that’s also a targetable ad placement by following these steps:
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- Click Ads.
- Click Custom channels.
- Click the name of the channel that you’d like to make targetable. Or, click New custom channel.
- In the ‘Targeting’ section, tick the box.
- Enter the requested details:
- Ads appear on: Note where ads in this placement appear on your site – on the homepage, or on other types of pages.
- Ad location: Select the location on the page where ads in this placement appear. For example, you might make a placement featuring ads in the top right of your pages.
- Description: Advertisers will see the name and description, so provide an accurate and informative summary that will represent your site well.
- Site language: The primary language of your site content.
- Click Save Advertisers will soon see your ad placement among the available places on which to display their ads.
Note: A couple of things to keep in mind:
- If you have a custom channel that spans multiple sites, advertisers will see it split up into multiple ad placements by site.
- If you edit the channel name later, you’ll lose any existing advertiser bids for that placement.
- Placement-targeted advertising will only appear on your content pages.
Note: If you misrepresent your ad placement, you will lose advertiser bids for that placement. Depending on the severity of the misrepresentation, you may also lose the ability to create ad placements, have your payment adjusted or have your account disabled. It’s in your best interest, and advertisers’, to be accurate.